Thoracic Spine / Mid Back Pain
The thoracic are is the vertebrae that have ribs attached to them. Because of the extra support the ribs supply the spine, the mid back is a strong robust area, which usually responds very well the treatment and resolves quickly. Pain and stiffness in this area is usually caused by long periods in poor postures or occasionally local trauma.
What Causes Thoracic Spine Pain
Pain in-between the shoulder blades is common and often presents as sharp, stabbing like pain that comes and goes with movement and prolonged periods in hunched postures. Treatment for this condition is generally pain–free, very safe and immediately effective.
What Treatment Will I Receive at Malaysia Physio?
During a session, we may use the following therapies:
- Moist heat packs to draw blood to the muscles, reduce pain and inflammation.
- Remedial massage the take tension from the muscles and facilitate movement
- Gentle joint mobilisations to breakdown adhesions and free up movement in the joints between vertebrae. Only physiotherapists can provide joint mobilisations. Generally the main source of pain is in the joints rather than the muscles, so massage alone is not sufficient.
- Simple and gentle exercises to self-treat and keep the pain away for long after your therapy session
- Postural exercises to improve the movement in the spine and make long-term improvements in posture.
- Self-management interventions through advice on occupational and home ergonomics, self-massage and self-mobilisations using home massage tools and other prevention strategies.
Surgery is very rarely indicated in this condition.